- Safety Guide & Disclaimer
- Install quick start
- Mounting the electronics
- VESA mounting
- Screen resolution tuning
- Landscape orientation
- Active cooling kit for Book / Book 2
Introduction and Support Notes
Thank you for purchasing an ergonomic Vertical docking solution. Once installed, we hope you will enjoy the improved ergonomics of your workstation for years to come.
Need help or have questions? Please email us.
Our solutions are offered in several different packages:
- a basic option where customers use their own Microsoft OEM dock electronics and their own VESA arm to mount the Vertical dock
- an option where Microsoft OEM dock electronics are pre-installed for an additional cost
- an option that includes pre-installed Microsoft OEM dock electronics and a dual VESA arm to mount a monitor and your Vertical dock at a comfortable eye-level
- an option that uses a 3rd-party USB-C hub
Install directions differ slightly across these three packages and different VESA monitor arm models. Based on customer feedback, we are continuously improving the usability of our products and the install experience. If you encounter any difficulties, please send us a note including photos of any issue and we'll help step you through it. We offer USA-based email support but will be happy to have quick phone calls/Skype chats for folks that need a little more help. If you have no experience installing a computer monitor or laptop on a movable VESA arm, it can be challenging. If you need local assistance from an IT technician, we can refer you to a someone in your area to help.
We are a family startup business in Seattle and are familiar with the difficulty of balancing full-time office jobs, children, and hobbies. We design our products with this in mind and hope to make your life easier. We appreciate any and all feedback, so don't hesitate to reach out if you have suggestions on how we can improve.
Safety Guide and legal disclaimer
- The product may contain neodymium magnets and small metal parts which can be choking hazards and may be fatal if swallowed. Please keep unassembled product away from children & pets.
- Allow plastic parts that may have been in cold mail lockers or sitting on a doorstep to come to room temperature prior to installation. Tighten VESA monitor arm mounting screws slowly and carefully. Over-tightening, especially with cold plastic parts, can cause cracks.
- As with many plastic products, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight or heat should be avoided as this will discolor and warp the plastic. This product should not, for example, be left in a hot parked vehicle. For indoor use only.
- Use care when docking and/or rotating your device in landscape/horizontal mode. Excessive force while docking or rotating could damage your device, the dock, or cause injury. For example, if you use the dock in landscape/horizontal mode with a damaged dock, your device could fall and become damaged or cause injury. If you notice damaged parts, contact us for replacement parts immediately.
- VESA monitor arms must be used per manufacturer directions. See the VESA Arm guide for additional precautions.
- In no event shall our company be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special consequential damages, to property or life, whatsoever arising out of or connected with the use or misuse of our products.
- Philips (+) #1 or #2 screwdriver
- Required: Microsoft OEM Dock electronics (brick-style dock) with included power supply and AC/Mains power cord. If you purchased a Vertical dock model with electronics, this will be pre-installed and a power cord and power supply will be included in the box. (USB-C models can use a 3rd-party USB dock instead of the Microsoft OEM Dock electronics.)
- Required: VESA monitor arm/mount with 100mm x 100mm mounting plate fastened securely. If you purchased a Vertical dock model with a dual VESA monitor arm/mount, it will be shipped with separate install directions. It is crucial that you pay attention to the manufacturer's directions on fastening your VESA monitor arm/mount properly to your desk for safety. The directions below assume that your VESA monitor arm/mount is already installed securely. (Some Vertical dock models can safely sit on a desktop standalone without a VESA monitor arm/mount, however this approach is not recommended for daily use.)
- Recommended: monitor, keyboard, mouse/trackball, monitor cables, and active mini-DisplayPort monitor adapters as needed
Vertical Dock for Surface Installation Steps
- Select two VESA retainer bars to fasten the Vertical dock to a VESA monitor arm/mount. The two short bars can be used for vertical docking only. To enable horizontal/landscape mode, use the longer bars. Depending on the model ordered, the bars may be shaped differently:
- If your selected bars do not have M4 nuts installed, install them now: If a nut is difficult to fit, try threading it onto a screw and pulling the nut into place: Nuts installed flush with the VESA bar and screws removed:
- Ensure your VESA monitor arm/mount is securely mounted to your desk. Then place 4 M4x14mm screws (included) through the rear of your VESA monitor arm 100mm x 100mm mounting plate. The mounting plate shown is just an example and will likely look different than yours:
- Pause Are you using the landscape mounting bars? If so, double check whether your VESA arm has a rotation capability. Some rotate 90°, some rotate 360°, and some don't rotate at all. For mounts that rotate 90°, you need to determine whether the rotation is clock-wise or counter-clock-wise. Ensure that when you rotate from Vertical to Horizontal, the mounting bars support the bottom of the tablet.
- Difficult step: To attach the Vertical Dock to your VESA monitor arm, carefully hold the Vertical dock and a retainer bar in place while turning the screws from the rear of the VESA monitor arm attachment point to engage the nuts. Having another person to help can make installation easier. Refer to your VESA monitor arm manufacturer owner’s manual for more specific instructions. While the provided screws have been tested on a variety of VESA monitor arm styles, we can't guarantee they will work for *all* VESA arms. Depending on the thickness of your manufacturer's VESA arm mounting plate, you may need longer screws than what we have provided. (If the screws don't reach far enough, M4x16mm screws from a hardware store may work better. The reason we don't provide longer screws in the box is that if they are used when not needed, they may protrude too far and scratch your Surface device when docking. If you need different screws, send us a note and photo and we'll ship them to you free of charge or credit your account.)
- Here is the final assembly in Vertical-only docking mode (Surface Book model pictured)
If you beleive you are missing parts or received the wrong parts, please contact us
Note: There are several options for mounting electronics depending on the model ordered. Not all steps will apply to your model.
Installing USB-C adapter (USB-C models only)
Attaching Bottom Cover Plate (optional)
Mounting Microsoft Dock electronics
Congratulations you have completed assembly of the Vertical Dock! Lets build the rest of your workstation...
VESA arm mounting
It is crucial that you follow all safety precautions included with your VESA arm/mount otherwise injury or damage to your Dock and Surface device may result! If you will be using the horizontal/landscape mounting bars, please review the landscape notes then return here.
- Some docks ship with optional landscape/horizontal mounting bars. To enable Landscape mounting, swap the VESA retainer bars for the longer bars. For most models, the curved extension-clip portion of the long bars bar must point to the right. When placing the Surface into landscape mode, this curved clip will support the bottom of the Surface.
- Some models may have multiple locations to insert the M4 nuts depending on whether the bar points left or right and whether you want to dock with the keyboard attached OR dock with the web camera at the top.
- Surface Pro 4 - 7 with Web camera at top (bar must point to the left and you must disconnect keyboard before docking):
- Surface Pro 4 - 7 with web camera at bottom (bar must point to the right; keyboard can remain attached attached and flipped around the rear of the tablet):
- Depending on the Vertical dock model ordered, the longer VESA bar may have some lateral adjustment to allow fine-tuning of the fitment to ensure the best connection with the dock electronics. To fine-tune, loosen the M4x14mm screws by 1/2 turn, slide the VESA bar to find the best position, then re-tighten the screws. Make sure to test in both vertical and horizontal mode to ensure you have the fitment correct.
- Some models may have multiple locations to insert the M4 nuts depending on whether the bar points left or right.
- Some models may include foam pads adhered to the bars to provide better grip and prevent the Vertical Dock plastic parts from rubbing against the Surface. These pads may compress over time so some adjustment may be required after initial installation to ensure a consistent connection with the dock electronics.
- Return to the VESA mounting notes to complete your installation/
Screen resolution tuning
The custom screen resolution guide will help to match the size of Windows UI and applications on your Surface screen to the size on your desktop monitors.
Active cooling kit (Surface Book Series only)
In the box:
- 75x15mm 5v 6cfm blower fan
- USB cable/toggle switch (some kits include a USB fan speed controller and a USB adapter instead
- 3D-printed fan carrier
- 20mm M4 screw and nut
Remove vertical dock from VESA mount and place face down on a table. Loosen and remove the M4 screw:
Align fan carrier and replace M4 screw. If the screw doesn't engage the internal nut, tilt the dock with the hinge mechanism down tap the dock a few times. This will allow the internal nut to move back to the right place. Tighten the screw most of the way but leave it loose enough to allow the fan carrier to slide left and right slightly.
Place fan on the fan-carrier post with large circular air intake opening facing up and the label facing down.
Carefully rotate the fan so that the blower output fits into the Vertical Surface Dock. You may need to slide the fan carrier left or right slightly for best fitment.
Take note of the position of the fan carrier. Pop the fan off and tighten the screw the rest of the way. Don't tighten too much otherwise you can crack the plastic.
Put the fan back in place ensuring proper fitment into the vertical dock and drop the supplied screw in from the top. You may need use two hands here to bend the fan carrier slightly to align the hole with the screw. Fasten the nut on the bottom - it only needs to be finger tight.
Plug the fan power into the switch, and the switch into a USB port. Then cinch the cables out of the way with a cable tie.
- For kits that included a fan-speed controller and right-angle USB connector, plug the right-angle connector into your Dock electronics and the fan speed controller into the right-angle connector. Then plug the fan into the fan speed controller.
- The Fan speed controller has a dial/switch combo to turn on the fan and adjust the speed. Make sure to adjust the fan speed slowly. Adjusting it too quickly may result in increased fan noise.
- The controller has quite a bit of speed range. Only the lower ~67% of the range is applicable to the fan included in the kit. If you adjust beyond ~67% then the fan noise may increase without increased airflow.
- The Surface Book may be docked in two positions: 1) closed which is best for pen/touch use or 2) ajar by about 1cm which is best for performance and cooling.
- Because the MS OEM docking electronics supply power to the USB ports at all times, we recommend switching the fan off with the toggle switch when undocking. We are looking into approaches to automatically switch off the fan when undocking.
- When docking and undocking, the fan may stop spinning for 2-3 seconds as the MS OEM dock electronics initialize. The fan will resume spinning after the electronics complete initialization.
- To reduce the noise from the fan, you can install a fan speed controller