- Safety Guide & Disclaimer
- Install quick start
- Mounting the electronics
- VESA mounting
- Screen resolution tuning
- Landscape orientation
- Active cooling kit for Book / Book 2
Introduction and Support Notes
Thank you for purchasing an ergonomic Vertical docking solution. Once installed, we hope you will enjoy the improved ergonomics of your workstation for years to come.
Need help or have questions? Please email us.
Our solutions are offered in several different packages:
- a basic option where customers use their own Microsoft OEM dock electronics and their own VESA arm to mount the Vertical dock
- an option where Microsoft OEM dock electronics are pre-installed for an additional cost
- an option that includes pre-installed Microsoft OEM dock electronics and a dual VESA arm to mount a monitor and your Vertical dock at a comfortable eye-level
- an option that uses a 3rd-party USB-C hub
Install directions differ slightly across these three packages and different VESA monitor arm models. Based on customer feedback, we are continuously improving the usability of our products and the install experience. If you encounter any difficulties, please send us a note including photos of any issue and we'll help step you through it. We offer USA-based email support but will be happy to have quick phone calls/Skype chats for folks that need a little more help. If you have no experience installing a computer monitor or laptop on a movable VESA arm, it can be challenging. If you need local assistance from an IT technician, we can refer you to a someone in your area to help.
We are a family startup business in Seattle and are familiar with the difficulty of balancing full-time office jobs, children, and hobbies. We design our products with this in mind and hope to make your life easier. We appreciate any and all feedback, so don't hesitate to reach out if you have suggestions on how we can improve.
Safety Guide and legal disclaimer
- The product may contain neodymium magnets and small metal parts which can be choking hazards and may be fatal if swallowed. Please keep unassembled product away from children & pets.
- Allow plastic parts that may have been in cold mail lockers or sitting on a doorstep to come to room temperature prior to installation. Tighten VESA monitor arm mounting screws slowly and carefully. Over-tightening, especially with cold plastic parts, can cause cracks.
- As with many plastic products, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight or heat should be avoided as this will discolor and warp the plastic. This product should not, for example, be left in a hot parked vehicle. For indoor use only.
- Use care when docking and/or rotating your device in landscape/horizontal mode. Excessive force while docking or rotating could damage your device, the dock, or cause injury. For example, if you use the dock in landscape/horizontal mode with a damaged dock, your device could fall and become damaged or cause injury. If you notice damaged parts, contact us for replacement parts immediately.
- VESA monitor arms must be used per manufacturer directions. See the VESA Arm guide for additional precautions.
- In no event shall our company be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special consequential damages, to property or life, whatsoever arising out of or connected with the use or misuse of our products.
- Philips (+) #1 or #2 screwdriver
- Required: Microsoft OEM Dock electronics (brick-style dock) with included power supply and AC/Mains power cord. If you purchased a Vertical dock model with electronics, this will be pre-installed and a power cord and power supply will be included in the box. (USB-C models can use a 3rd-party USB dock instead of the Microsoft OEM Dock electronics.)
- Required: VESA monitor arm/mount with 100mm x 100mm mounting plate fastened securely. If you purchased a Vertical dock model with a dual VESA monitor arm/mount, it will be shipped with separate install directions. It is crucial that you pay attention to the manufacturer's directions on fastening your VESA monitor arm/mount properly to your desk for safety. The directions below assume that your VESA monitor arm/mount is already installed securely. (Some Vertical dock models can safely sit on a desktop standalone without a VESA monitor arm/mount, however this approach is not recommended for daily use.)
- Recommended: monitor, keyboard, mouse/trackball, monitor cables, and active mini-DisplayPort monitor adapters as needed
Vertical Dock for Surface Installation Steps
- If you believe you are missing parts or received wrong/damaged parts, please contact us.
Note: There are several options for mounting electronics depending on the model ordered. Not all steps will apply to your model.
Installing USB-C adapter (USB-C models only)
- USB-C adapters do NOT ship with all products.
Attaching Bottom Cover Plate (mandatory for all USB-C models - optional for other models)
Mounting Microsoft Dock electronics (optional)
Congratulations you have completed assembly of the Vertical Dock! Lets build the rest of your workstation...
VESA arm mounting
It is crucial that you follow all safety precautions included with your VESA arm/mount otherwise injury or damage to your Dock and Surface device may result! If you will be using the horizontal/landscape mounting bars, please review the landscape notes then return here.
- Pause Are you using the landscape mounting bars? If so, double check whether your VESA arm has a rotation capability. Some rotate 90°, some rotate 360°, and some don't rotate at all. For mounts that rotate 90°, you need to determine whether the rotation is clock-wise or counter-clock-wise. Ensure that when you rotate from Vertical to Horizontal, the mounting bars support the bottom of the tablet.
Some docks ship with optional landscape/horizontal mounting bars. To enable Landscape mounting, use the longer curved bars. For Surface Book models, the curved extension-clip portion of the long bars bar must point to the right. For Surface Pro and Go, the bars can point to the left or the right. Some models may have multiple locations to insert the M4 nuts depending on whether the bar points left or right.
- Note: Some models may include foam pads adhered to the bars to provide better grip and prevent the Vertical Dock plastic parts from rubbing against the Surface. These pads may compress over time so some adjustment may be required after initial installation to ensure a consistent connection with the dock electronics.
Return to the VESA mounting notes to complete your installation
Screen resolution tuning
The custom screen resolution guide will help to match the size of Windows UI and applications on your Surface screen to the size on your desktop monitors.
Active cooling kit and performance notes for Surface Book Series
- Performance note: The Surface Book may be docked in two positions:
- Closed where the tablet touches the keyboard base. This position is best for pen/touch use
- Ajar by about 1cm . This position promostes more airflow and is better for performance and cooling.