Guide: Monitor Selection
We get many customer questions about how to choose the best monitor. We hesitate to point customers towards particular brands and models. We cannot stress enough the importance of visiting a physical retailer to choose a monitor that looks good to you - not one that looks good to folks writing on the Internet.
That being said, below we've listed a handful of monitor models that customers have had particularly good luck with and are sized to match your Surface. All models are IPS panels with best-in class color reproduction for good performance across a variety of workflows and include a VESA-mount capability which we feel is crucial for optimizing workstation ergonomics.
[Note that most of these models are NOT 4K. 1440p panels tend to be much higher quality than 4K panels of similar cost. And given typical viewing distances, 4K monitors will have screen contents automatically scaled by Windows 10 so the extra pixels are not particularly useful for most customers.]
15" devices: Surface Book 2-3 / Surface Laptop 3
- 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide LG 34UC80-B (DisplayPort)
- 27" 2560x1440 Asus PB278Q (DisplayPort)
- 27" 3840x2160 (4K) AOC U2790VQ (DisplayPort)
13.5" devices (Surface Book 1-3 / Surface Pro X / Surface Laptop
Surface Pro 3-7 / Surface Go 1-2
Cables and adapters
- Monitors with DisplayPort will need a miniDP->DP cable
- Monitors with HDMI will need an active miniDP->HDMI adapter (Alternate miniDP->HDMI adapter link)
- Some customers will need USB-C monitor adapters