To use a 3rd-party USB-C hub with a Vertical Dock instead of the Microsoft brand docking electronics, you need one of these adapters and a bottom cover plate.
Which adapter to order?
- Surface Go/Go2/Go3 -- right-angle adapter
- Surface Pro X -- right-angle adapter
- Surface Book2/Book3 -- straight through adapter
- Surface Pro 7/7+ newer Vertical dock style with bottom facing USB-C port -- straight through adapter
- Surface Po 7/7+ older Vertical Dock with front-facing cutout -- right-angle adapter
- Surface Pro 8 -- compact right-angle adapter
- Surface Laptop Studio -- compact right-angle adapter
- For installation on a Vertical Dock, you MUST use with a bottom cover plate (available from the parts page) They won't fit unless installed with a bottom cover plate.
- Using 2 USB-C connectors together or USB-C alongside the Microsoft connector will make docking more difficult and is not recommend for folks who frequently dock and un-dock.